Sunday, June 21, 2009

More iPhone goodness

A concert wasn't the only thing exciting last Thursday. I'd been counting down the days for weeks as I know that the 18th would mark the release of Apple's iPhone OS 3.0 update. In typical geek fashion I somehow managed to wake up at 3am just in time to download the new operating system for my favourite smartphone.

Impressions so far are hugely positive. I did however hit a minor setback initially when I didn't completely unjailbreak my iPhone before updating, which caused some of my apps to become inaccessible. Aside from that I'm just gushing over the improvements that are now available, and keenly awaiting updates to current applications to take advantage of new features.

Highlights for me are:
  • Spotlight Search through the whole phone (Rocks!)
  • Landscape keyboard in Mail and Messaging
  • An improved Safari
  • Copy and Paste!
What I can't wait to see is what apps will start to use the new Notification Services and Peer to Peer features in the OS. Of course Peer to Peer would be useless unless we had two iPhones in the house... an intriguing point...

Luckily for me Alison has been running into issues with her current phone and is open to the idea of taking my current iPhone 3G. Which conveniently leaves me with the opportunity to get a new iPhone 3GS! Oh happy days!


The new hardware should speed things up quite nicely. Not much information in Australia yet on what the plans and pricing are going to be for it but I'm sure we'll know more tomorrow in time for the speculated release date on Friday (26th of June). In preparation for incoming gadgets I picked up $120 of iTunes gift vouchers for a sweet price of $90 (a special $30 for two $20 gift cards) at Big W to cover all the new apps we'll no doubt be buying. It's a good time to be a geek.

1 comment:

yinyang said...

Some Optus pricing is available, but not sure who you're with, but it doesn't seem too bad so far. I'm glad I only had a 12 month contract, so as soon as I get back, I'll be going iPhone 3GS(peedy) :-)