Monday, March 06, 2006

Mope

Really bummed about my MacBook. Read today on the ozzy forums that Apple resellers are probably going to get their first shipment of MacBook Pros about three to four weeks from NOW. Heck knows if I'm even going to get mine then seeing as I placed my order on the 17th of January (a full week after the announcement). At the moment I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and cashing in for a Dell Inspiron 9400 instead.

Granted there are trade offs but for a better screen I get lots of bonuses too. Here's what I can list off if I spec up a Dell to spend about the same amount as I had set aside for the MBP.

+ 17" Screen over 15"
+ 5 in 1 media card readers which I would find really useful with my digital camera
+ Double the RAM (2Gig over 1Gig)
+ 1920x1200 resolution compared to 1440x900
+ I don't have to hack the darn thing to put Windows on it to play games :)
+ Internal Modem
+ S-video out for TV watching
+ More USB ports (6 compared to 2)
+ Dual layer DVD burner (MBP only has single layer burning)
+++ I can probably get it before Christmas...

There are some down points of course though if I really think about it these are merely "nice to haves".

- No inbuilt webcam
- No inbuilt microphone
- No backlit keyboard
- No apple remote
- Close to a kilo heavier than the MBP and it's much bigger too (duh)
- I need to hack it to get OSX on it so I can use iLife
--- IT'S STILL NOT HERE!!!

Installing OSX on Wintel machines seems to be trivial these days from what I can see. Not to mention Vista won't be long away and I can quite happily live with that on my laptop. Guess I'll just have to sleep on it.

Just incase I do decide to get the Inspiron I figured I should queue up a torrent for OSX to get ready. Glad I did because now I've raised my personal best for download speed on a single torrent (fear my geekiness)

4 comments:

yinyang said...

good things come to those that wait :-)

and who will support your mum with her iBook/OSX questions!!

yinyang said...

and just had a look at the Dell....FUGLY!! :-) LOL!!

Sharim said...

Patience was never my strong point. Besides, I can still help mum out with her OSX problems when I install it on the Inspiron. ;)

Anonymous said...

Pembelot