Monday, November 16, 2009

Some Assembly Required

Not too much work done last week on Thursday and Friday. I was hoping for the lights to be installed by the sparkies in time for the weekend, but I guess they must have hit a snag or two as we could only see a few power points installed and wires tidied up. At least most of the messy work is finished and the utility room is starting to look nicer now that the plastering is done and the skirting boards have been installed. Won't be long before the real doors are put in and that old fly screen can be tossed out.



In between waiting for the plaster to dry, the builders also managed to find time to put up the gate on our storage room so that's now complete and ready to be used. It's currently full of their tools so I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer before chucking my gear in there.



Seeing as we're on the tail end of this whole project, I rolled my sleeves up to get the landing sanded and stained while the builder's decking oil was still available. It's expensive stuff to buy for yourself otherwise! Sanding by hand isn't especially fun but it didn't take as long as I thought it would. It's amazing what a difference it makes too.



A second coat the next day and we have a pretty nice looking spot to sit and have a cuppa in the morning. At least until we get some real furniture for outside.



Since moving into the house we've been struggling with the lack of in built wardrobes in the bedrooms. Up till now we've had to scurry in varying states of undress between rooms to get changed, as we've never had space in the main bedroom to store clothes. Sick of this situation I put my foot down and cajoled Alison into trekking out to Ikea to get some bed side drawers.

We've been looking around for a while and this set of two fit the room perfectly. As a bonus the tall skinny one has a mirror on a hinge for morning tie routines. One of the few bits of Swedish furniture we've bought that didn't need an alan key, just stupidly difficult screws to drill into wood. I have a corker of a blister now to show for my efforts.



In hindsight, I think we should have gotten the three drawer for beside the bed as we can't see the clock anymore. Might pick one up and move the four drawer into another room.

If all goes well the work should be done by the end of this week. Fingers crossed we'll be able to start cleaning up our house properly this weekend!

2 comments:

Rudi said...

Two thoughts:

1. Cordless drill (a.k.a. screwdriver) is a godsend.

2. All looking very nice indeed!!!

Sharim said...

Cheers mate. I do actually have a cordless drill to tell you the truth but I've never been comfortable using it. Should dust it off and give it a go. :P