Sunday, June 01, 2008

Temporarily unemployed

After a month of handover and arthritic thumb twiddling, my three year long period of employment at Michael Hill Jeweller finally came to a bittersweet end on Friday. A large proportion of the saccharine contribution would most definitely have been due to the fresh brownies baked by Felicity as my parting gift. It fills me with great sadness to think that I'll never be able to sample these chewy morsels again.



The rest of the day was filled with glorious gastronomic celebration, as is befitting the farewell of the Glutton of IT. An extended lunch at Liquorish, an unapologetic-ally upmarket restaurant and tapas bar in Bulimba, soon crippled the entertainment budget to feed a ravenous horde of merry-makers. While it was difficult to choose from the luxurious menu, I soon settled on the roast duck, accompanied by creamy mash potatoes atop a black truffle jus, braised cabbage and courted by a pert slice of shiraz baked pear. Suffice to say I was certainly not disappointed.

To round up a beautiful mains, we were left with little choice but to order dessert. I indulged in lemon creme brulee with black glutinous rice and roasted coconut ice-cream. Oh the extravagance!



As if this feast weren't thanks enough for my service with the company, I was eventually presented with a lovely dress watch. I haven't had much Michael Hill branded bling to wear so this was a lovely memento.



By the time I managed to saunter back into the office, I barely had enough time to surrender my security pass indefinitely and say my goodbyes before rushing off to the pub for drinks. I shared a brew or two with close friends that I'll likely not see for a fair while before departing once more for the Norman Hotel to meet the Warehouse staff. A juicy steak and a few more nips and too soon it was time to call it a night.



Wish it could have lasted longer, but I guess I'll need to rejoin the workforce when I report for my first day with Flight Centre tomorrow. Mortgages don't tend to pay themselves after all...

2 comments:

yinyang said...

Felicity is still cooking all those sweet things...!

Looks like it was a good last day.

How'd the firts day go?

Katherine said...

Hope this new jobs gives you as many opportunities for gastronomic delights!

But seriously - hope the first day went well, and that you are looking forward to new challenges and better things to come :)