Sunday, September 13, 2009

Searching for Snow White

I was so into the idea of geocaching back when we first started that I even added a tag on the blog for all the treasure hunting posts that would no doubt follow. It's now almost two years later and we haven't cracked out the GPS in search of caches since that initial foray.

Holding my breath to see if this is going to keep, but we went on another walk today to find caches. Well, I did anyway... Alison just came along for the stroll and to humour me. It all started when I downloaded the official geocaching application for the iPhone. Pretty snazzy app actually. Amazing that I can get away with one device while I had to lug out our Garmin GPS, a camera and a notepad when we first tried geocaching.

As part of my cunning plan to keep us going with this fascinating hobby, I picked two caches to hunt for that are actually part of a set of seven (or eight depending on how you look at it). The people that maintain these caches have themed it after the Seven Dwarfs (yes, I'm normally one to use the "Dwarves" plural form but I'm being faithful given the context) with each cache providing a clue to find the final cache, Snow White.

The first cache we found was Sneezy, hidden in the rock wall beside a shaded path around a duck pond in the Edenbrooke estate nearby. With all my appreciation for convergence of technology, my phone was useless when it came to writing in the supplied log book as we forgot to bring a pen along. Doh.



At least we got the clue though and the ducks were cute. Jumping on the opportunity to do another nearby cache, we headed north in search of Grumpy. This one took a little longer and a touch more courage as I was sticking my hand into fallen tree stumps, hoping to find a plastic container rather than a redback. The iPhone GPS isn't all that accurate either which certainly didn't help but I managed to get there in the end.



Two down, five more to go. Here's hoping I can stick to it this time.

No comments: