Sunday, October 25, 2009

Driveway and weekend jobs

The last of our concrete was poured on Wednesday so we now have a new spanking driveway to the street. It's an expansive sea of hard lines though I'm sure the car port roof and strategic landscaping will soften things up nicely.



Aside from that there haven't been too many changes. Beams were painted and put up in preparation for the roofs next week and our window holes in the old garage have been filled with weatherboard from the side of the house where our sliding door will be installed. Our hardwood battens were supposed to be here for us to oil and seal but that can wait till next weekend.

Oh, I did have a little man-moment on the weekend. The insulation guys had knocked off a heap of lead nail heads to lift the roof and most of the pieces rolled into out gutters. Apparently lead and gutters don't get along too well, something about a galvanic response that results in rust, which meant that I'd have to brave the roof for the first time to clean them out.

I'd love to say that it was a cinch once I got up there but if anything my anxiety only grew the longer I was away from Terra Firma. I scaled the ladder pretty early to avoid the sun but I hadn't factored in the dew on our iron sheets adding to slip factor. I ended up scooting around on my butt all over the roof to avoid slipping and breaking my neck, a far from efficient means of locomotion but it was all my nerves could take.

We also bought a barbeque today and decided to assemble it to give our builder something to work off when cutting the bench and cavity. Shame we underestimated the amount of work involved and only started putting it together at 5:30. Two hours later we downed tools after struggling for a good hour in the dark with three torchlights and the tiniest screws known to man. The doors aren't on yet but at least the cabinet is up and wheels are on.

Reckon it'll just be another three odd weeks before the renovations are complete. Had a chance to show John and Sheena our progress and everyone's excited about what the final product will look like. I know I can't wait.

No comments: