Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I Got Worms

I originally thought that my birthday this year would be fairly low key, especially considering that I'm supposed to be in the middle of the twelve week challenge and watching what I eat. In the end I sorta threw caution to the wind and that's ok. Because it's my birthday dammit! (29 if you must know)

As is traditional in our household, the special treatment started early I'm the morning with a shower of presents from Alison and family. Got some pretty darn cool gear including funky sleep mask (need my beauty rest as I age), a great set of steak knives, some gardening soap and a wine cooler. No real theme to the collection but all will be put to good use.



Had to turn up to work unfortunately as i've hit rock bottom in the annual leave bucket. We did manage to get out of the office for lunch to try out this place that does a four course degustation for $20 which is insane value. They are a hospitality training school so I guess the students need to practice their craft and they might as well sell the results to discerning customers. Overall there was a lack of polish but that's forgivable at such a great price.

On returning home I got another surprise birthday gift waiting for me. A little bit of well crafted misdirection had me guessing exactly what Alsie had bought but a quick trip out to the garden revealed that I'm now the proud owner of a trendy worm cafe. Our previous composting efforts weren't overly successful so I look forward to putting these little invetebretes to good use.



Dinner had us going out to Southbank to try out a new Taiwanese restaurant that we'd heard about. We've been hankering for Siu Long Bao since our trip back to Malaysia so we were pretty excited when we got there.



Alas the juicy morsels didn't live up to our expectations. Just too thick and dry with the skin and the meat was pretty coarse and gristly. Tasty meal nonetheless and we'll probably still go back if we're in the area.

Alison took me down the road to Gunshop Cafe for dessert. I ordered a poached pear with maple panna cotta and chocolate sauce, which my darling wife further adorned with a candle when the plate came out. Who ever said you needed cake?

No comments: