Friday, May 21, 2010

Urgh, what a week

Well that was quite an interesting week. Things started with a bang on Saturday when I went to the shooting range with some of the guys from work. I'd never fired a gun before so this was certainly going to be a new experience. Everyone else seemed to know what they were doing and I was beginning to feel a little uncoordinated.



I found it pretty hard to actually get any feedback for where my shots were landing (perhaps because they didn't actually hit the target?) so I wasn't sure how to improve. The novelty of shooting a gun beyond the 22 calibre - which had the kick of a pea shooter - was pretty sweet at first but sharp recoil can only keep one amused for so long. In hindsight I probably should have worn longer socks too...



There were a couple of shotguns around so we got a chance to do some clay pigeon shooting too. I fired off two shots and managed to score a lucky hit on my second round. I'm quite happy to retire with a 50% success rate. Not a bad day to spend with mates but I think I'll stick to the driving range personally.

The week pretty much went downhill from there. I was supposed to have a new team member start on Monday which involved a bucket load of work to prepare for. Imagine my disappointment when I got an email at 8:00 saying that she had decided to take another job elsewhere - yes folks she did it by email. Needless to say this has put my whole plan for resourcing into a tailspin which we're still reeling from, not to mention slamming our recruitment efforts back to square one and wasting two weeks of lost interviewing time. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Felt so rotten about this on Monday evening that I decided to forgo the weekly weigh in. Worse yet, we went out for pizza at Dominos which was probably not the best idea in the last week of the 12 week challenge. At least they were the healthy options on the menu.

Things are looking up though. Alison and I will be doing a walk with the family for the heart foundation this weekend, which should give me a final boost before the weigh in on Monday. My iPad should also be getting delivered in about a week and I've already started downloading apps in preparation. Just after that we'll be heading to Spicers Peak Lodge for a night of indulgence to celebrate three years of happy matrimony. Always helps when there are nice things to look forward to.

No comments: