Saturday, October 28, 2006

Click and scribble

Alison made the unfortunate mistake of mentioning a passing desire to look for a digital point and shoot camera this morning. Not one to pass up an opportunity for gadget shopping I immediately scoured the net for reviews for decent P&S cameras that would fit our needs and soon settled on the Canon Powershot SD630 (or the IXUS 65 as it's known here down under).

Bargain hunting for electronics is most definitely the best, clean weekend fun one can have in my book. After playing off three department stores against each other to price match we walked away with $80 off the sticker price and a free camera pouch thrown in to boot. Not bad if I do say so myself.



Alison seems pretty happy with the purchase and I'm going to be pushing home the point that this is her camera which will hopefully encourage her to use it a lot more. The functions are obviously a lot simpler than the EOS 350D and we both like the luxurious 3" view screen. This will also be the first digital camera I've used that supports VGA movies over 30 seconds in length (the maximum is 8 minutes I believe). It's going to be great for short trips, parties and nights out when it would be inconvenient to drag along my DSLR with the whole array of lenses.

Shame we're stuck with the crummy 16MB SD card that comes with the package until we buy a new one or I figure out which of my current devices to scavenge for memory. It's hard to believe that manufacturers are still bundling these ridiculously undersized chips with 6.0 megapixel devices in this day and age.

The original reason to head out to the shops was to get a Wacom tablet for me to work on my game assets and design sketches. We picked up the 4x5 Graphire 4 and it's taking a while to get used to it but it sure is better than a mouse. Should come in useful for photo touch ups and the like too.



Ahh another week's salary well spent. Now to forage the neighbour's bins for food...

4 comments:

yinyang said...

how could you pass up the chance to get the hello kitty version....!?

very disappointed!!

Sharim said...

They didn't have one in stock unfortunately. I'll just have to print out a decal or something. :P

Anonymous said...

A wacom tablet!!! I'm so proud of you! That's very exciting - it'll make gaming deisgn SO much easier for you. I no longer get a sore wrist when creating images.

Enjoy!

Sharim said...

I'm going to have to get a few tips from you on how to use it. Still seems rather awkward at the moment though I haven't had much time to play with it yet.