Saturday, November 11, 2006

You can never go home

Mum had briefly discussed her plans to renovate the house on her last visit to Australia but the full extent of the changes were hard to imagine until we’d seen them. Since mum’s spending most of her time in Kajang with Uncle Wing (or traveling to Australia to see her favourite son) there wasn’t much point in merely extending the house to create more space to clean and look after. Instead she’s managed to divide the house into three self contained units, two downstairs and one large area upstairs for her to use when she decides to stay. This was the house I grew up in so some of these changes were pretty freaky.

BEFORE

AFTER

First big shock came from entering what used to be the front door to the house. The entry way has been walled off obviously to give this first unit the original kitchen and the downstairs bathroom to use. The spot which my piano has occupied for close to 15 years has been transformed into a TV wall and study area. Of course this was just a setup for the next WTF moment.

BEFORE

AFTER

Sleeping in the dining room was definitely an odd sensation for the first couple of nights. I've eaten my share of meals in bed growing up but waking up to see the my reflection in the kitchen mirrors was just gnarly.

BEFORE

AFTER

Even the garden couldn't escape mum's eager renovating mood. Our little flower stand come sitting area has been changed to a pot plant fish pond.



It may be hard to make out from the small picture but there are little guppies from Uncle Wing's pond floating around in there.


BEFORE


AFTER
The first sliding door on the side of the house now leads to the original staircase which still provides access up to the second floor. What was my bedroom upstairs is essentially now a simple study room for mum store room for all the junk I haven't been able to cart over to Australia yet. My poor neglected piano also now adorns this miniature entrance way.

BEFORE

AFTER
Behind the second side door was the biggest change of all. This used to be a maid/guest/karaoke room which wasn't being used much in recent memory. Mum's now sealed it off and pushed the house boundary back to create a second unit that she intends to let out.



Of course mum's infatuation for the open bathroom continues here too.

BEFORE

AFTER
Here you can see how the back of the house has been done away with to accomodate the new kitchen and seating area. The first picture is obviously a little old. The geese (Donald and Daisy) are long gone now and that's Wong and Rudi over for one of my birthdays.



Mum's quite proud of this addition to the garden. The longan tree was about to meet the axe before someone pointed out that the tree was about to bear fruit. Not the best longans I've had but I guess it's better than nothing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rudi in that Γα¥ shirt that changes color according to temperature. HAH - talk about time(!)

Nice photos btw.

Anonymous said...

Blimey. How times have changed. I forgot how much of a fashion sense I had even back then. You don't happen to have any other old photos like those tucked away do you? Not many were taken in my own family, so to see myself how I looked back then makes me wonder how you guys weren't embarassed to be around me.

Those geese were bloody diabolical.

Good to see you this time around. Here's to Brisbane in June, eh Cel?

Sharim said...

I'm sure I have a few photos lying around somewhere from the old days. When I have a spare moment I'll put up some of them on Flickr for friends to see.

Anonymous said...

GIDDY-UP!!!!