Saturday, February 23, 2008

The next generation is here

I toyed with the idea of picking up an Xbox 360 on our trip back to Malaysia but figured it would be far too much hassle to deal with potential issues with power adapters, AV standards (we use PAL down under) and "warranty claims". Particularly prudent I'd say given the common issues which the first batch were plagued with.

My patience finally gave way this weekend as I decided (after much pleading for Alison to approve the purchase) to join the ranks of the current generation of video consoles. We're now the proud owners of a new 360 and one game... that was second hand.



Yes, technically we've been enjoying the current breed of console goodness since we bought the Wii but the graphics whore in me just wasn't satiated without 1080 HD. Now I just need to get the little baby modded up and I'll be well on my way to getting some Gears of War action.

Even out of the box the machine is pretty impressive. After downloading a small update we can already play all our burned DivX DVDs on the thing, which was the only reason I had my old 360 still hooked up. Xbox Live Arcade games are pretty nifty too and will be a pleasant way to past the time until the real (ahem... copied) games start rolling in.

Now the only one missing from our little game family is the Playstation 3... *sigh*

No comments: