Sunday, March 16, 2008

There is one fruit...

I realise that I've considered switching to the dark side before, only to bow out at the last minute due to chronic impatience. Might be making excuses here but I've been looking at turning Gemini into a High Definition DVR and media centre for a while now which obviously meant buying a replacement main laptop. Preferably something to supplement little Edna with more media functionality.

The initial obvious choice was to pick up a Dell XPS M1330. Good specs, decent price and a pretty nice design for a Dell. Somehow I just couldn't get excited about the purchase though. I'd also be stuck with Vista and no option to install XP.

Then Apple went and updated their MacBook line up to bump it up to 2GB of RAM and a 250GB hard disk which borders on usable. The sub-par integrated graphics card was hard to swallow in the beginning but on further consideration I can't think of a single upcoming PC game that isn't also coming to the Xbox 360 which I'd rather play on a laptop. The promise of improved battery life, portability and a lick-able OSX interface was enough to push me over the edge.

I've dubbed the new girl Braeburn and she's playing nice with everyone else in the house so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the family......Braeburn.
Pretty too......