Saturday, March 27, 2010

Touch Down

The holiday begins! We trundled down the hill to the train station, bags full of electronics and light clothing in tow, to catch the train to the airport at about ten in the morning. I must confess that I took some pleasure in counting the number of people in our carriage that appeared to be heading to work... sucks to be them.

On getting to the airport Alison prepped her latest aviatory conditioning measures, critical on this flight as she's been fighting a bout of the sniffles. This involved a cocktail of pseudoephedrine, nasal spray decongestant, a large packet of tissues and two rubberised plugs charmingly labelled Earplanes. We were told they would help equalise the cabin pressure and reduce headaches during descent.



Our plane wasn't especially big and we were right at the back on account of a large batch of returning school children, but the flight itself was fairly pleasant. I loaded up my old iPod with a heap of podcasts to keep me entertained as I'm not usually fond of inflight entertainment. As an aside, I've recently been introduced to a podcast for short fiction called the Drabblecast which is great to listen to. Fantastic production values and very well read I think.



Earplanes actually turned out to be a success and Alsie wasn't quite up to her usual level of post-flight grouchiness. We touched down in Changi Airport at about 7:30, and after a reasonable cab ride we arrived at James and Dora's Singaporean abode. A lovely place, though we're a little intimidated by their taste in gargantuan furniture.



We weren't feeling especially hungry after the flight, but somehow managed to pop out to the stores to get a late evening snack anyway. I couldn't resist the call of some authentic takoyaki, though I did give a cursory nod to my diet by only ordering three balls rather than my usual six.



To work of some of that guilt I tried to do a little body weight exercise this morning in the study. Might even drag myself down to the pool later on for a swim perhaps. Holiday food is coming and it'll be a task to remain vigilant.

No comments: