Wednesday, April 07, 2010

More Food and Shopping

Shopping in Malaysia is great fun when you convert everything back to Aussie dollars. It just seems so cheap! So far we've bagged about four pairs of shoes, over ten shirts, three bags and a bunch of other bits and pieces. To round off our wardrobe, particularly for the upcoming trek through Taman Negara, we needed to find some basic t-shirts and shorts for hiking. Jaya Jusco had a crazy sale on so we fought our way through the mob to find a good deal, coming away with far too many clothes of questionable style and quality but with irresistible savings.



I've been wearing the same pair of glasses for the past nine years, so this trip seemed like the ideal opportunity for a style change. My old Silhouettes have been really light and comfortable, but I picked a heavier hinged frame this time. Still getting used to the darker frame but I think they suit my face... although I'm worried that I might look a little too HK now...



The food continues to roll in. Meeting up with Teoh for dinner brought us to another seafood restaurant with a view, perched on a hill in OUG. The owner of the establishment is a family friend so we were greeted warmly and well looked after, with the tea pot refilled constantly. We left the responsibility of ordering our meal to Tezza and were very impressed with the results. Assam fried fish, kang kung belacan (yet again, I know), pork ribs marinated in red fermented tofu and another dish of tofu with roast pork. Great food, and to top it off the whole meal only cost 46 Ringgit (about 15 Aussie dollars). What more could you want?



At home, mum's been treating us to some classic Teochew dishes. I used to have Tau Suan for breakfast whenever the family returned to Johor for Chinese New Year each year, but haven't had a chance to eat this in years. This is a sweet split green bean soup with cut up pieces of fried bread. Keen to share another childhood meal with Alison, I asked if mum could whip up a batch of this and she happily obliged.



Mmmm... reminds me of my childhood.

As another treat we've also had a few nights of Mah Jong with mum and Uncle Wing. Good fun, we really do need to find some people in Brisbane to play with.



Heading off to Taman Negara for four days tomorrow. Hope we don't encounter too many leeches while we're walking through the jungle. Probably grasping at straws here, but with luck there'll also be a WiFi connection so I can keep tabs on what's happening with the iPhone OS 4.0 event tomorrow. If not I'll just have to catch up when we get back on Sunday, fingers crossed for some funky features.

2 comments:

Katherine Battersby said...

Oh no - if we were still in Brisbane I'd play Mahjong with you! I grew up playing it. Mum and the Mahjong ladies still get together once or twice a week to play. If only I'd known before ... such a nostalgic game for me :)

Toowoomba crew said...

Well .... just caught up with all your doings and now reminded never to read Sharim's blog when hungry! Sounds as if all is going to plan. Did the Easter Bunny find you both?