Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Week Six and the Floodgates of Food

The camel's back has been broken. I'm not even trying to pretend to follow a diet for the remaining days we have in Malaysia, as is clearly evident by the influx of food.

On Sunday we drove back to Subang to catch the last pasar malam (night market) of our trip, and everyone knows that a trip to the night market will no doubt involve food... lots of food. We took our time walking amongst the veg and fish stalls, stopping only to pick up two more bags of kueh, eat a bowl of Fa Sang Wu (a creamy peanut soup), two sticks of Lok Lok (sticks of meat and seafood cooked in a hotpot at the back of a truck) and a piece of Apam Balik (a thin, crispy, cream corn and peanut pancake, folded over like a calzone). I loved Apam Balik as a kid so I think I showed great restraint by stopping at just one piece.


The next day we were at Megamall again for more shopping and spotted these cute dessert buns on the menu at lunch. Alsie just had to order them. They're filled with red bean paste and were actually quite tasty. I would have thought that pork buns would be more appropriate...



Not satisfied with the mountains of kueh we've already consumed, mum picked up a tin on kek lapis (spekkoek) which is a dutch-indonesian baked layered cake. Another morsel that I'd stuff my face with as a kid, as you can imagine I was/am a very fat kid. This was a very good batch, so smooth and buttery and I definitely experienced that "just one more slice" feeling. My love handles were quivering with pleasure.



One last nostalgic dish, waffles with ice-cream from A&W. Not exactly fine cuisine but it's a staple for our trips to Malaysia. It's also proof of my fall from grace. Alison and I went to a A&W at the start of our trip and I comfortably abstained from waffles back then. Now here I am with a double scoop of ice-cream. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.



So what's the damage after all this self destructive behaviour?



Not brilliant, I've basically knocked my progress back by three weeks. I picked up a new pair of running shoes and a Nike+ sensor on this trip so I can see lots of cardio in my near future to help burn off all this fat before the end of the challenge. Still, it was worth it I think.

This will likely be the last post from Malaysia as we're flying back tomorrow. It's been a great two and a half weeks and we wish we could stay longer, but it's probably a good thing for the pocket and waistline that we're forced to return to work. Lots to look forward to still with an upcoming Australian iPad launch and a Christmas visit from Mum and Uncle Wing. That'll certainly help me deal with the rising swells of homesickness that I'm already beginning to feel.

No comments: