Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What's up buttercup

Haven't written a decent ramble of miscellaneous events in a while so I figure it's about time to torment the cyberworld with an update.

We attended Tom (Alison's cousin) and Kelly's weekend on Saturday which was a good excuse to dress up swanky. I've been trying to be good over the past few months and have cut down my daily consumption of unhealthy consumables from "life threateningly hedonistic" to "grossly overindulgent". As a result I've had the good fortune of rediscovering some breathing room in the previously restrictive confines of my daily attire. My weight loss in fact has been effective enough to allow me to fit into an old Armani (which I wore to the wedding, there's a point to all of this you know) that I haven't worn since my graduation in Canterbury some five odd years ago. Must say I was rather chuffed with the result.


Oh and Alison looks pretty good too...

The vendor that we bought the unit from has returned from his round the world trip and saw fit to contact me directly last week to arrange access for some tradies to do some work on the unit. After much pointless bickering I agreed to take the day off work yesterday to let his people through to get the work done. I don't have the time or the energy to convey the magnitude of our dislike for this man so it's an understatement to suggest that we'd be glad when we don't have to deal with him anymore. Alison has pulled the short straw and will be staying home this Monday to let more people through to install some fly screens and hopefully that will be that.

Other than that, the other bit of business that's been taking up the majority of my spare time is a new personal project that I've started. Most people who know me will be familiar with my ambition to one day work in the Games Industry. Previous attempts (some of which were fairly recent) to apply for such positions have been met with unencouraging silence so I have decided to "get off my arse" as it were and put some work together to demonstrate my motivation and perhaps some talent.

To this end I've decided to begin work on a solo game project that will in all likelihood take me the better part of a year to complete. Hopefully it will be an entertaining and educational experience with a fun final product and a shining flagship for my portfolio. It's going to be an RTS (Real Time Strategy) game that's been heavily influenced by numerous boardgames which I love. I don't actually have a name for it as yet but I figure that part can certainly come later. For now I'm just concentrating on fleshing out the documentation and writing as much code as I can so that I can get to the good stuff later on. Now this is still early and it's about as pretty as a baboon's chocolate starfish but here's the first chronicle screenshot I've taken of the game in progress.



With luck I'll be posting further updates as we go and won't give up this phase too soon. Hey, I originally thought this whole blogging business would be a phase but the anniversary of this blog will be coming up on the 20th of August. :)

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Wow! That's awesome! I'm all thumbs up for dreaming big and working towards your dreams (hell - I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't!). I can't wait to see the progression of your game, and I doubt (knowing your strength of passion and interest) that it will be a passing phase.

And if it is actually as attractive as a 'baboon's chocolate starfish', then you have a good chance of getting some interest considerring the number of people out there who have more baboon DNA than they do human :)

PS. You guys look hot and swanky - love the bow tie Sharim!!