Saturday, August 23, 2008

Braeburn just got a boost

Thought I'd use what little luxury money I had lying around to give myself a little treat and picked up some RAM for the MacBook. I've been toying around with XCode lately and have noticed Braeburn chugging along with all my normal apps open at the same time. Worse yet, if I don't close some of them down things just slow to a crawl when running Parallels for the odd Windows program that I still need to use.

Grabbed four gig of "Mac compatible" memory from UMart and have noticed an improvement in responsiveness already. Even now I've got pretty much everything I'd ever want open and my little Mac is handling it with nary a Page Out.



Ahhh... look at all that free space. Yes, Quicksilver is a memory hog but I just can't live without it anymore.

Speaking of apps that I can't do without, I've recently developed an unhealthy attachment to a nifty note taking program called Evernote. I started using it at work to take notes for jobs and processes but have since been using it at home and on the move for everything from receipts to project ideas for the new house. It has great support for tags and searching (it even searches for text inside photos!) which means that your notes are easily recalled when you need them.

The brilliant thing about the app is that it's cross platform and (get this) it syncs your notes between your computers! If installing an application on a computer isn't possible then there's also a web client available, though it's obviously not as responsive as a local installation. You do have to create an Evernote account to sync but this is a painless process and it's ABSOLUTELY FREE if you only need to sync 40MB worth of notes a month. They even have an iPhone version which would provide you with access to your notes regardless of wherever you are. Shame I don't have an iPhone yet... *grumble*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not sure your QS is taking up so much memory - mine only takes up 55Mb! You sure you're on the most recent version?

Evernote is very very useful and you should check out dropbox as well - pseudo .mac but free :-)

congrats on the sale of the house btw!

Sharim said...

Heheh, did some reading up and apparently it was because I had a 250 meg Quicksilver clipboard history file... cleared that out and now I'm using 18MB for Quicksilver ^_^;

Registered for the Dropbox Beta so I'm in line for my account now.

Thanks! One more week and we can truly celebrate.