Friday, August 29, 2008

Tweet Tweet

I thought I'd never jump on this Web 2.0 bandwagon but I guess I've been wrong about things like this before. Looking to try something new, I've signed up for a Twitter account and finished setting things up so that my diminutive musings propagate through all corners of my online presence. If you cast your eyes over to the right you'll notice that a new gadget has been added to The Rabbit, perhaps distastefully titled "Skin the Bunny" in light of the short nature of Tweets.

So what is this thing? Twitter's basically a form of micro-blogging crossed with some social networking. The idea is that there are things that happen in life which don't warrant a full blog post or an email but may provide a passing interest to other people in your life. Trying an interesting recipe, reading a good book, going shopping for an iPhone (I wish)... essentially anything that would normally come up in small talk. Rather than catching up and asking all the usual questions you can just check your mate's Twitter feed and do away with inconsequential chit chat. Don't you love it when technology brings people closer? :)

I jest of course. Here's an entertaining youtube video which does a reasonable job of explaining the attraction of Twitter. For me, it's really a handy way to do a little blogging on the move through my phone or when I don't feel like typing out a full blog post. I'm sure that a better man would just leave his private life off the internet rather than contributing to the build up of shite content in cyberspace... but I'm such a geeky exhibitionist that I just can't help myself.

I've been told that you get to find out a lot more about your friends and family through this disconnected voyeurism which could certainly be interesting... if any of my friends or family actually used the darn thing. Expect the usual torrent of inane blah-blah until the novelty wears off for me. I'll try my very best not to keep things out of the gutter...

No comments: