Saturday, August 30, 2008

iCaved

I've been joking a fair bit lately about heading out to pick up an iPhone but honestly never thought I'd actually do it. Rationally I figured I'd wait till the rumoured iPod refresh on the 9th of September to see what new toys would roll out of the lust factory in Cupertino... but impulse once again got the better of me.



We drove out to Carindale this morning to pick up a yummy white 16GB iPhone on the lowest Optus plan possible. It only gives me an anorexic 100MB per month but I'm hoping that I won't be using that much data to check email, a little surfing and using my iPhone apps. Alison forced me to pinky swear that I wouldn't be looking to upgrade my phone in the next 24 months for the duration of the contract...

So far it's been an absolutely gorgeous experience. Browsing with Safari is far better than anything I've tried with a PDA (and yes that's including using Opera Mini on Windows Mobile). The interface is responsive, good looking and most importantly makes sense for a hand held device (that means no freaking start menu Microsoft).

Apps that I've downloaded so far have been pretty impressive too. Twinkle has been an obvious stand out given my recent foray into the world of Twitter. Evernote of course is great which I've talked about before too. Then there's the mobile version of Net News Wire which even syncs with my News Gator account. NICE!

Downsides so far have been the usual smudging that seems to be prevalent with any Apple product these days (the white helps a little), though in truth the screen gets just as smudgy on my HTC Touch. The 16 gig may also feel somewhat claustrophobic as my culled 9 gig music collection takes up a fair bit of my space. Certainly glad that I didn't go for the 8 gig version.

Overall though it's pretty much what I expected. Chalk up one more happy Apple whore.

3 comments:

Tine said...

Ah hah! You caved! :p

yinyang said...

I'm so proud of you....! :-)

To protect your new baby try a "skin" from InvisibleShield or BodyGaurdz if you don't want to put it in a case. I got the InvisibleShield, but I think the BodyGuardz is better value.

Also another app to try is DataCase (allows you to transfer data from Macbook to iPhone via wifi/ftp). Also AusPost are doing a promo until 31/08 - $20 iTunes card for $15....makes it cheaper to buy apps etc!

And I think you'll like TapTap!!

Have fun!!

pandy said...

I'll give you ten bucks for the htc. my phone went through the wash, and for some reason, stopped working. oh well. pandy out.