Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Flock to the Web OS

Here's a bit of non-google news for a change. Albert just pointed me in the direction of a new browser to test drive called Flock which is another Mozilla based browser like Firefox. It's still in beta at the moment (like half of the applications I use) but the feature set certainly seems promising. Basically the developers have tried to integrate a lot of social aspects of the web into the browser itself. Flock supports del.icio.us, flickr, blogging, RSS and I'm sure a bunch of other nifty concepts I've yet to discover. I'm writing this post from a Flock window so hopefully the formatting will turn out fine on the site.

Another bit of web gadgetry I've stumbled across is Goowy, obviously a play on GUI (Graphic User Interface). Goowy is a flash based web... hmm... platform I suppose that the developers are using to create a (my favourite word) persistant desk top. Creating an account allows you to log in to access a web mail client (with two gigs of storage space), calendar functions, games, widgets and a heck of a lot more to come. Goowy's web mail even supports POP3 so you don't have to give up your Gmail account. This could easily become my start page if they add a bit more functionality and provide support for synching with my mobile devices.

In the real world Alison and I are looking forward to this weekend. We'll be rocking up to South Bank to board a boat for the Michael Hill social club Christmas party on Friday. There will be a crazy hat and wig theme for the night, karaoke and company subsidised booze so I envision much silliness and drunken antics.

On Saturday we'll be nursing hang overs and shuffling down to Riverside for a Missy Higgins and Ben Lee concert. It'll be the first concert I've been to in years, the last one being with Nevermore and Lacuna Coil. I somehow doubt there'll be a mosh pit at this one. :P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goowy is dead cool... DEAD cool... at this rate, nothing is going to be local anymore. uhhh, YIPPIE?!