Sunday, October 09, 2005

Fun day of sun in the city

We originally planned on having brekkie with Kath and Andrew today to celebrate Andrew's grand accomplishment with finishing all his medical exams. Unfortunately the two of them still haven't come back from their trip and with our Melbourne plans next weekend we'll just have to postpone the festivities a while. Denied the chance of social contact and unwilling to spend another day sweltering at home, Alison and I grabbed our gear and struck out into the city with the aim to find entertainment and food.

Breakfast consisted of overpriced eggs benedict and a dissapointing continental serve on the river at Southbank. The view was great and it was good fun taking pictures of the cyclist riding by but the food could have been a lot better. Taking panning shots of the moving cyclists turned out to be a lot harder than I anticipated. After a heap of tweaking with exposure settings I was finally getting somewhere but by then we'd polished off our meals and it was time to move on. This was probably the best of the bunch and I love that puzzled look.



Alison was cringing in her chair as I snapped at passers by. She seems to think that taking pictures of random people will get me a broken camera and a fatal beating but so far my 'international features' seem to have placated the angry masses from taking action. I figure if I ever do get confronted I can feign ignorance and try to explain my unfamiliarity with the English language through frantic hand gestures and tongue clicking.

After breakfast we wandered around most of Southbank and the CBD, visiting the Southbank Markets, the Riverside Markets, the King George Square markets and a quick browse in the shops on Queenstreet Mall. I of course was happy to let Alison scavenge through trinkets and amused myself by taking pictures of her among the shops. Here's a picture of Al running out of patience with me at King George Square.



At least she managed to buy a couple of things on this shopping trip including a new black top (very nice) and some cheap $3 earrings. I picked up a photography book at Borders for a little bed time reading. All together a nice day even if I have slipper tan lines on my feet now.

No comments: