Monday, October 10, 2005

Google goodness

It's been a while since my last Google gush. Google has just released Google Reader, it's own web based RSS reader and another building block on the house of Google OS. I've tried numerous times to get into subscribing to RSS feeds but I've never found a decent reader with a good layout. Firefox has a few good RSS plugins but the problem I have with that is the same issue I take with localised bookmarks, you just can't take them everywhere. I like my web browsing experience to be as persistant as possible so as del.icio.us has done for my bookmarking, Google Reader will do as an introduction to RSS for me.

On the off chance that you're not familiar with RSS I'll do my best to give you a quick and dirty definition. RSS or Really Simple Syndication is basically a service that most websites these days provide that allows readers to subscribe to feeds. New updates to the site are then atomically distributed to subscribers to view on their RSS reader/viewer. Updates usually come in the form of new posts to a site (like this blog for example), news articles, music (which is basically what a podcast is), video or pretty much anything you can think of serving. That's my understanding of what it is anyway, if you need a extended/accurate description you can always find one on our favourite online encyclopedia

Oh, and the Australian Postal service is back on the Christmas card list. I just got my notice of attempted delivery so by this time tomorrow I should have a beautiful new SuperCard to test out on my DS. Oh joy oh joy oh joy.

No comments: