Monday, August 22, 2005

It all begins with a single step

One of the cons of working out in the middle of whoop whoop is that public transport becomes increasingly scarce. Brisbane has a great integrated transport system where a single ticket allows you passage anything from the bus, to trains to the city cat (our local ferry service). I love Brisbane transport but then again anything would look fair compared to the complete rip that we'd have to put up with in Malaysia.

Imagine my dismay when I had to jump from a 15-20 minute ride to the city centre when I worked at Telstra to an hour long trek across half of Brisbane to get to Michael Hill in Murrarie. To add insult to injury the only available transport from the train station to work is through a privately owned shuttle bus service. This basically means that in addition to the 1-3 zone weekly public transport ticket I have to buy ($23.20) I needed to fork out another $25 for the bus to and from work. I was paying more money to travel the last 5% of my journey than the whole train fare.

The last straw came about a month ago when our beloved bus driver hit us with a fare increase, weakly justified by increasing petrol prices. Now he charges $3.00 for a single trip or $5.50 for a return. I choked this down for as long as I could but enough is enough which brings me to the topic of my post (which in truth isn't as dramatic as I'm making it out to be)

With the intention of losing weight, saving a buck and denying the buggers and easy cash cow I've decided to start walking into work from the station. Thankfully it's still winter over here so the weather is quite pleasant though it's going to take a while to get used to the distance. Courtesy of Google Earth I've got a satellite photo here to illustrate my new path to work.



I borrowed my boss' pedometer today and discovered it's takes about 3000 steps each way. Initial trials suggest that I'm only going to add another 5 minutes to my trip (the bus always dropped me off last) so I'm not going to lose much.

Hopefully posting this online will give me the incentive to continue this as long as I can. More updates to come in the following weeks.

No comments: