Saturday, August 20, 2005

Point and shoot

New fascination for the week is photography. Not really surprising how I got here and I can explain the process in a few easy mental hops.

Previously mad about : Apple Computers
I'm still keen on getting one of the new sexy MacIntels once they come out next year. I don't see the point in getting one now when I can salary sacrifice a 12" iBook through work and install XP (or maybe Vista if I'm lucky) on it and get some work done on the beast.

Moving on to : Imitation
If I can't have an Apple then by golly I'll smack my PC into something that looks like it. I installed iTunes, Object Dock, Google Desktop Search, Picasa and Konfabulator to get as close to that OSX look as possible with XP.

Look everyone : Pretty pictures
After all the work I had to do to get my pictures in order for Picasa I stumbled across Flickr. Talk about a fantastic concept, I love sharing pictures with my friends and getting inspired by some of the pros out there.

A new frontier : *click click*
Of course monkey see monkey do. After uploading a pitifully small collection of my 'nice pictures' I find my efforts somewhat lacking. A perfect reason to pine for new hardware to compensate.

At the moment I have my consumer eye on the Canon EOS 350D. It seems to be a logical step up from my current Pro90IS though the price point is a little prohibitive right now. In the interim I'm considering a macro lens for all my flower pictures. Everyone loves flower pictures.

I'm also becoming really impressed with Picasa's options for post processing. Some shots that I'd written off now look passable and my good shots look even better (in my humble opinion of course). Photoshop Elements would probably do a better job of it but I'm happy fiddling for now.

No comments: