Friday, September 09, 2005

Grrr... no 50mm lens

It was a pretty tough day at the office today (with the promise of an even tougher week to come) so when I hit the city I was pretty keen for some consumer therapy. I met Alison at Central Station and we trekked down to the camera stores hoping to find a nice Canon 50mm prime and a camera bag. Unfortunately it seems like the lens is unbelievably popular in Brissie and usually gets sold within a day of stock arriving so no joy for me there. No one seemed to have a macro coupler ring either so my camera equipment hunger had to remain unsatisfied.

On the bright side, a quick trip into Crumpler proved to be a lot more productive. After perusing the camera bags they had to offer I found one that seemed to fit my needs. Lots of pockets, divided sections and it's nice and sturdy.



It's great because all my other Crumpler accessories (all one of them) can now be used on both my Crumpler bags. Oooh versatility.

Came home on the train only to pack my new bag with stuff and head out again for a night time photo shoot of the city. Got a good chance to use my tripod to take some long exposures but the wind was a little prohibitive when we got up to Mount Coot-tha. Didn't really get any great shots but it was nice to try more techniques and effects like ghost images on long exposures and bokeh shots. I'm sure I didn't execute them perfectly but we still had fun playing around with the camera.

Yeah, I know I should really concentrate on one technique. Tomorrow we're going to be going out for a picnic at the botanical gardens so it's going to be macro/flora all the way baby!

4 comments:

yinyang said...

You were supposed to exercise some restraint before buying said Crumpler so that you could explore the possibilities of an STM - you are weak and have no self control :-)

Even I've managed to stop myself from buying an iPod nano!!

Sharim said...

You know... I probably could have held out if I managed to find a lens in teh city that night. At least that way I would have bought something.

I wouldn't blame you if you sold off your shuffle to get a black 4 gig Nano. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... 4GB Nano... I really don't need it, as I have an Archos AV440 that does the job, but gawd DAMN it it's GORGEOUS. And it's gotta be in black too...

Still into gadgets, eh, you techno-addict you... Just recently got back into PCs and built myself a killer machine - 12200 in 3dMark05, if that means anything to you these days! :)

Sharim said...

I wouldn't want to take a 40gig PMP out for a jog that's for sure. :P

If I do want to watch movies I'm quite happy with my PDA for now. Might change my mind later when Apple release their tablet PC (What are you waiting for Jobs?!?!)

Of course I'm into gadgetry though I must admit that 3dMark scores never really did it for me. I reckon the only time I've benchmarked my PC was a maximum FPS count on Quake1 demo2. Lost interest in FLOPS after that and would rather just enjoy the games.