Thursday, September 29, 2005

Incoming lens!

Woohoo, just got an email from the camera store that my Raynox lens is now on the way. Since they had the sense to send it on a Thursday this time I'm hoping it'll arrive on my door step by tomorrow. Perfect timing for a weekend of funky macro shooting. Still no sign of my supercard but that'll probably only get here next week.

In anticipation of my new lens I thought I might share one of my better attempts at 'macro-insectography' on our trip to Toowoomba. This was taken with a 50mm prime reversed as a magnifying glass in front of a 18-55mm zoomed to the max. Working distance wasn't very good at all so I had to get right up to the bees. It took a little getting used to as I usually bolt as fast as I can in the opposite direction when faced with insects. Subject blur was a major issue this time but at least with two lenses I could control my aperture this time and achieved a greater depth of field.



I just heard from my mum that she's planning a trip down to see us for Christmas which is going to be great! She then plans on trekking about Australia till Chinese New Year 2006 (which I believe is currently slated for January 29th) when she'll come back for a final stay before launching off on some crazy jaunt across Asia and Europe to finally arrive in the UK to spend Christmas with my Aunt. *Phew* That's quite a trip and power to her.

Mum's apparently caught the photography bug too and hopes to catalog her trip by taking heaps of portrait shots of the people she meets along the way. I think that'll be a wonderful project and can't wait to do something similar one day for myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blimey. Fair play to her.

Sounds awesome - I guess it's the least she deserves after slogging through all these years to see you through hundreds of schools... :p

Encourage her to catalogue her pictures online as she goes along - will be interesting to see the see the various faces and places.

Sharim said...

Hardly hundreds but yeah she does deserve a long break after looking after such an expensive child.

Mum's keen on learning how to blog and use Flickr so it shouldn't be that hard to get her on to posting as she goes along. Though it might be hard for her to get to an computer that's hooked up to the Net while she's trekking over Nepal.

Sharim said...

That's an idea. Doubt she'll really want to lug it around with her though. At the moment I've been assigned to researching a small P&S camera for her to buy to take on her trip as she's not keen on using my Pro90 due to it's size.